This is a peaceful, active shoaling rainbowfish that is well suited to life in a community aquarium. Male Northern Rainbowfish are grayish silver in color and have a wide blue horizontal bar running from the eye to the tail. Their fins are blue and yellow. Females exhibit similar coloring, but they are duller overall.
Other common name
- North New Guinea Rainbowfish
- Rhombatractus affinis, Rhombosoma sepikensis
- Northern New Guinea.
- 5 1/2in (14cm).
- Active swimmer; nonaggressive, suitable for community aquarium.
- Prefers live foods, but many commercial diets also accepted.
- Spacious, well planted, with large open central area, dense background vegetation, and sandy bottom. Neutral to slightly alkaline medium-hard water recommended. Temperature range: 77-82 F (25-28C).
- Not difficult; eggs are laid —over a period of a few days—among fine- leaved plants or plant roots. Hatching takes about 12 days.