This species has been available since 1933, and although it has never achieved the popularity of Melanotaenia rainbows, it has always been popular among specialist fishkeepers. It does well only in good-quality water and in the absence of larger and more aggressive tankmates.
Other common name
- Telmatherina ladigesi
- Sulawesi (Indonesia).
- Up to 3in (7.5cm), but usually smaller.
- Peaceful, though active, shoaler.
- Wide range of livefoods and commercial diets accepted.
- Set up as for Pseudomugil furcatus (Furcata Rainbowfish). Softish, slightly acid conditions may be accepted, but it seems to do better at higher pH and hardness values. Water quality must be good. Temperature range: 68-82°F (20-28°C).
- Breeding season lasts several months. Eggs are scattered among fine- leaved vegetation. Hatching takes 8-1 2 days, depending on temperature.