Owing to its great variability, with some specimens bearing one body spot, others none at all, and yet others being golden and/or mottled (reticulated), this species has a wide range of common and scientific names. Modern-day thinking is that all are representatives of a highly variable single species, P. caudimaculatus.
Other common names
- Golden One-spot/Spotted/ Golden Spotted Livebearer, The Caudo
- Phalloceros caudimaculatus auratus and P. c. a. reticulatus
- Southern Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay; introduced into some locations outside its range, e.g. Malawi and western Australia.
- Males around 1 1/4in (3cm); females up to 2in (5cm).
- Peaceful shoaler.
- Range of foods accepted; vegetable component required.
- Tank should be well planted and well lit. Water chemistry not critical, but alkaline, medium-hard conditions are preferred. Temperature range: 64-82°F (18-28°C).
- Up to 80 fry may be produced every 5-6 weeks.