This is another extremely attractive Limia species that hybridizes easily with its closest relatives. It is also highly variable, with some specimens having very little spotting, whereas others—particularly some of the aquarium-bred strains—are richly spotted with yellow and black.
- Poecilia vittata
- Cuba; some populations occur in brackish waters.
- Males up to 2 1/2in (6.5cm); females up to 4 3/4in (12cm) but usually smaller.
- Active shoaler.
- Wide range of foods accepted; regular vegetable component important.
- As for Limia melanogaster. A little aquarium salt—about 1 teaspoonful per 1 Imp. gal ( 1 1/5 U.S.gal/4.5 I) maybe added to the water, but this is not essential. Temperature range: 75-82°F (24-28°C).
- Large broods of up to 100 fry are produced every 4-6 weeks.