Just like its famous relative, X. helleri (Swordtail), this species is inherently highly variable and has been developed into numerous color varieties. It has also been hybridized with both X. helleri and X. variatus (Sunset Platy). The best places to find true wild-type specimens are specialist livebearer societies.
Other common name
- From Veracruz in Mexico to Belize and Guatemala.
- Males to 1 1/2m (4cm); females up to 2 1/2in (6cm); cultivated varieties and hybrids may be larger.
- Placid shoaler.
- Livefoods preferred, but other diets also accepted; a vegetable component is important.
- Heavily planted, covered tank with some open space. Alkaline, medium-hard water preferred. Temperature range: 64-77°F (18-25°C).
- Around 50 fry are produced every 4-6 weeks.