Although it is not the “youngest” of the Sphaerichthys species, Vaillant’s Chocolate Gourami is perhaps the most recent one to appear with any degree of regularity. It is also a beautifully marked species when in peak condition.
- Trichogasterinae (classified as Trichogastrinae by some authors)
- Up to 3in (8cm), but usually smaller.
- Retiring and peaceful; must not be kept with boisterous tankmates.
- Small livefoods, although some deep-frozen/ freeze-dried foods may be accepted; dried formulations may be accepted only reluctantly.
- Well planted, with surface vegetation and subdued lighting important. Soft, slightly acid water preferred. Temperature range: 77-86 F (25-30 C).
- Challenging in aquaria; eggs and fry are orally incubated for up to 2 weeks, but some doubt exists regarding the sex of the mouthbrooding parent.