Adults of this species have a somewhat more rounded head profile than Monocirrhus polyacanthus (South American Leaf Fish) and Nandus nandus (Common Nandus). Some specimens have very attractive dark mottling.
- Nandidae Subfamily: Nandinae
- Guyanas, Trinidad, and Venezuela.
- Around 4in (10cm).
- Predatory, nocturnal loner.
- Livefoods, including live fish—a factor that needs due consideration prior to purchase.
- Heavily planted, well filtered (but with little water turbulence), with numerous shelters. Neutral to alkaline, medium-hard water with 1 teaspoon aquarium salt per 1 Imp. gald’/s U.S. gal./4.5 I) added. Temperature range: 72-79c F (22-26°C).
- Challenging in aquaria. Eggs are laid on broad leaves or flat surfaces and are guarded by male. Hatching takes about 3 days.