The crescent, from which one of the common names for this species is derived, is particularly well exhibited on the caudal fin of males in peak condition. The deep red of this crescent is also evident on the anal and pelvic fins.
Other common name
- Peaceful Betta
- Western Borneo, northeast Sumatra, and Malaysia.
- Around 2in (5cm).
- Relatively peaceful, except at breeding time or when a new specimen is introduced into the aquarium.
- Livefoods, deep-frozen, and freeze-dried diets preferred, but other foods may also be accepted.
- Densely planted (including some floating vegetation), with a number of shelters. Illumination should be not too bright. Soft, acid water preferred. Temperature range: 75-82°F (24-28°C).
- Easier than in B. bellica (Slender Betta) and B. coccina (Wine Red Fighter). Male builds bubble nest under floating or submerged leaves; spawning is nonviolent, and male guards the eggs and newly hatched fry. Hatching can take up to 3 days.