This interesting and attractive slender fish is one of the sand-sifting African Rift Lake cichlids that have become progressively more widely available from the early 1990s onward. Although they vary significantly in color, most male Pastel Cichlids have a light green and pinkish metallic sheen to each of the scales on the sides, and the anal fin is often tinged with pink. The heads of the males are bluish-green, and their lips are bright blue. The females are less spectacular, being plain silver in color.
Other common name
- Redspot Callochromis
- Shallow water throughout Lake Tanganyika.
- Up to 6in (15cm).
- Active shoaler and digger that should be kept in small groups.
- Sinking formulations and livefoods preferred.
- Shelter, plus ample sandy areas, must be provided. Medium-hard, alkaline, well-filtered water recommended. Temperature range: 73-77 F (23-25 C).
- Maternal mouthbrooder. Males excavate pits to which they attract females.