In this zebra complex species, males, while varying in coloration, are orange/yellow, with or without vertical dark bands. They also have a yellow egg-shaped spot on the anal fin. Females are pale metallic blue with dark vertical bands, and brood their eggs in their mouths.
- Maylandia lombardoi, Metriadima lombardoi
- Mbenji Island and Nkhomo Reef in Lake Malawi.
- Around 4 1/4 in (11cm).
- Territorial and aggressive.
- Wide range of foods accepted.
- Properly constructed backgrounds that reach almost to the water surface, with plenty of boltholes. Must be well lit and well filtered. Medium-hard, alkaline water important.
- 75-79 F (24-26 C).
- Maternal mouthbrooder.