This species is relatively easy to distinguish from other blue Rift Lake cichlid species by its two dark patches, one extending from the eye down to the throat area, and the other located on the “shoulder.” The males, which grow considerably larger than the females, are much more colorful, exhibiting a more intense blue coloration.
- Haplochromis electra, Haplochromis jahni
- Eastern coast of Lake Malawi, from Hai Reef southward to Makanjila Point, taking in Likoma Island.
- Around 6 3/4in (17cm).
- More peaceful and less territorial than many of its closest relatives.
- Wide range of commercial formulations. Aquarium: Properly constructed backgrounds with plenty of boltholes and sandy areas. Must be well lit and well filtered. Medium-hard, alkaline water important. Temperature range: 75-79F (24-26C).
- Spawning tubes, i.e. lengths of plastic piping, placed either on sand or on a rock, with female subsequently picking up eggs and incubating them orally.