This large, predominantly silvery fish has dusky dorsal, caudal, and anal fins, clear pectoral fins, and reddish pelvic fins. Only juveniles are suitable for average-sized aquaria. This species is therefore best avoided unless adequate accommodation can be provided for adults.
- From Senegal to the Nile basin.
- Up to 20m (50cm) reported, but usually much smaller.
- Not aggressive; may be kept in shoals, space permitting. Likes to dig in the substrate in search of food.
- Wide range of foods accepted.
- Large, deep, with ample swimming space and fine-grained substratum recommended. Neutral to alkaline, soft to medium-hard water preferred. Temperature range: 72-82 F (22-28 C).
- Believed to be an egg scatterer, but no documented accounts currently available.