This is a small, beautiful, but rarely seen tetra. For long-term success, aquarium conditions must be given close attention. In particular, the red coloration of the caudal fin will fade quickly in water that is of an inappropriate quality.
Other common name
- Sierra Leone Dwarf Characin
- Ivory Coast, Ghana, Liberia, and Sierra Leone.
- Up to 1 1/2in (4cm).
- Retiring, peaceful shoaler (but with jumping ability); should not be kept with active or robust species.
- Wide range of small commercial and livefoods accepted.
- Well covered, with subdued lighting, dark substratum, plant thickets, and floating vegetation. Soft, acid, tannin-stained water required. Temperature range: 72-79 F (22-26 C).
- Very soft, acid water recommended. Eggs are released over the substratum (which, ideally, should incorporate some peat.