Lebiasina species are distinguished from their close relatives, Copella, by their four (rather than three) branchiostegal rays (slender bony rods on some of the bones that support the gill cover). They also have a relatively long upper jawbone, they are considerably more resilient in terms of environmental tolerance, and they have a very different temperament. A few other species may be occasionally available, most notably L. multipunctata (Multi-spotted Lebiasina), which is from northwest Colombia.
Other common name
- Elegant Pencilfish
- Piabucina astrigata
- Colombia and northern South America.
- Up to 3 1/4in (8cm).
- Predatory; must not be kept with small tankmates.
- Primarily livefoods and deep-frozen diets, although dried formulations may also be accepted after the fish have been acclimatized to aquarium conditions.
- Thickly planted. Water chemistry not critical. Temperature range: 72-79 F (22-26 C).
- No documented accounts currently available.