There are only some half a dozen species in the genus Panaque, of which two—Emperor Panaque and the black-bodied P. suttoni (Blue-eyed Plec, Pleco, or Panaque) from northern South America—are regularly available. Distinguished by their large heads, sloping foreheads, and beautiful eyes, panaques make interesting additions to appropriately furnished and maintained aquaria.
Other common names
- Pin-striped Panaque, Royal Panaque
- Southern Colombia.
- Up to 12in(30cm) reported, but usually smaller.
- Generally peaceful toward other tankmates, but strongly territorial toward its own species.
- Predominantly herbivorous: sinking plant- based formulations (e.g. vegetable tablets, granules, or flakes), lettuce or spinach leaves, peas, etc.
- Spacious, well filtered, with flowing water (as produced by powerhead outlet), along with adequate plant and bogwood or rock cover. Softish, slightly acid water preferred, though some deviation tolerated. Temperature range: 72-79 F (22-26 C).
- No documented
accounts currently available.