This is a very large species that should be purchased only by aquarists who can provide it with appropriate accommodation. The strong thorny spines on its body plates and powerful fin spines also mean that it must be handled with care. However, although the Black Doradid is extremely large, it is not aggressive toward other fish of a similar size.
- Widely distributed in the Amazon basin.
- Upto 39in (100cm) reported.
- Peaceful despite its size. Likes the company of its own species.
- Wide range of chunky foods accepted.
- Large, well filtered, with fine- or medium-grained substratum. Water chemistry not critical. Temperature range: 70-75 F (21-24 C).
- No documented accounts currently available.