This species has a similar body color to M. micracanthus, but it is overlaid with two distinct darker bands that run from behind a body spot (similar in color to that possessed by M. micracanthus but smaller) to the base of the caudal fin. A fainter band is also discernible above the main one.
Other common name
- Striped Catfish
- Myanmar (Burma), India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Malaysia, and Thailand.
- Around 8in (20cm).
- Does well with similar-sized tankmates, but may prey on small fish.
- Some commercial formulations accepted, but livefoods preferred.
- Spacious and well filtered, with open swimming areas and hiding places. Water chemistry not critical. Temperature range: 72-82F (22-28C).
- Although it is known that an active courtship, accompanied by “tweeting” noises, culminates in eggs being released among roots or plants, there are no known breeding successes in aquaria.